Latest snapshot of the coronavirus impact
LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* There was "no choice" but to shut down Victoria's construction industry for two weeks due to the spread of COVID-19 and poor compliance with restrictions, the state government says.
* Protesters against mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for the construction industry and other health restrictions marched up Melbourne's West Gate Bridge and blocked traffic in their second day of protests this week.
* The NSW construction industry will return to full capacity from next week as the state government creates a school holiday "kids bubble" to relieve locked-down families and bored children.
* NSW reported 1022 new local cases of COVID-19 in the 24 hours to 8pm on Monday and 10 deaths, taking the outbreak toll to 255.
* Doctors have backed vaccinating children aged between five and 11 against coronavirus in schools as early as next year.
* Mental health support is being boosted for lockdown-weary Canberrans under their sixth consecutive week of stay-at-home orders.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There have been 25,113,222 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to Monday, including 321,168 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 14,412,811 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 196,083 in the previous 24 hours).
* 13,488,367 have been issued in primary care (+189,662) and 924,444 in aged and disability facilities (+6421).
* 10,700,411 have been administered by the states and territories, including 125,085 in the previous 24 hours.
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported 1643 local cases on Tuesday: 935 in NSW, 567 in Victoria, seven in the ACT and one each in Queensland and the NT.
* Three overseas-acquired cases were also reported: one each in NSW, Queensland and the NT.
* The national death toll is 1167: NSW 311, Victoria 832, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3. (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 229,053,000.
* Deaths: at least 4,699,000.
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 5,936,821,000.
Data current as at 1630 AEST on September 21, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails