Cop plea to end violence

Robert DoughertyNorth West Telegraph
New South Hedland Officer-In-Charge, Senior Sergeant Allan Jane.
Camera IconNew South Hedland Officer-In-Charge, Senior Sergeant Allan Jane. Credit: Taylar Amonini

Police are encouraging residents to report family violence to officers or other community groups to assist a community-wide zero-tolerance approach in Hedland.

Public investment is needed to end family violence in Hedland, according local police.

South Hedland Senior Sergeant Allan Jane said family violence was a sensitive topic and people affected could get information and support from many different agencies to end the abuse.

“It’s a priority for us and we want to see public investment in reducing family violence, we want to see people taking ownership of the problem.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


“There is a pressing need for people to know that it’s not OK to commit acts of violence against family members or another person,” he said.

“Family, violence and alcohol consumption is not just a police problem; we need people to take responsibility of their actions to report it, so that we can intervene and provide solutions to people in this very awful situation.

Sen. Sgt Jane said if members of the public were not comfortable speaking with police, there were many information, support services, phone numbers and external links to assist people.

“We know that family violence is a sensitive topic and we are aware that there are many presentations at the hospital for acts of family and domestic violence that aren’t reported to police,” he said.

“If you don’t wish to talk to a police officer, you can talk to your doctor or health consultant.

“There are some fantastic advocacy agencies here. Clearly, we want people to have the courage to report acts of family violence, so that we can continue our zero-tolerance policy and interject, intervene at every opportunity to try and break the cycle of domestic violence.”

Visit www.police.wa.gov.au/your-safety/family-and-domestic-violence.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails