Grog stakeholders visit to discuss proposed restriction
Liquor industry decision makers have visited Newman to discuss proposed restrictions and the potential impact of a Banned Drinkers Register in the town.
Liquor Stores Association of WA chief executive Peter Peck and director of liquor licensing Peter Minchin consulted with the community at a liquor restrictions forum earlier this month. The forum came after Ashburton and East Pilbara licensees were asked by Mr Minchin in August to show cause, explaining why they should not be subject to the same alcohol restrictions flagged for Karratha and Hedland.
The conditions would include a Sunday ban on takeaway alcohol sales, push-back of opening hours and no advertising of full-strength beer under an extension of the inquiry into further liquor restrictions in the Pilbara. “A representative from the department met with the local accord to discuss the proposed restrictions in Newman last week,” a Department of Local Government, Sport and Cultural Industries spokeswoman said.
“The Pilbara inquiry has been expanded to include Newman, Marble Bar, Nullagine, Tom Price, Paraburdoo, Onslow and surrounding areas ... submissions are due by mid-November.”
Cellarbrations Newman owner Anita Grace said the Pilbara was on the cusp of significant change.
“There’s nothing concrete as yet, it’s only proposed — the offenders card for March next year is one of the main ideas — no Sunday trading is one of the restrictions he is talking about,” she said. “A lot of the restrictions that are proposed I can say we are already doing in our town ... in most of the proposals, we are quite supportive.
“Newman is really strong in harm minimisation.”
Racing and Gaming Minister Paul Papalia and Mr Peck have previously signalled support for a Northern Territory-style banned drinkers’ register being trialled in the region.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails