Fourth-quarter blitz powers Dampier to huge win over Falcons, Wolves down Rovers in NPFL round 14

Alexander ScottPilbara News
Jack Cronin snaps the ball under pressure from Caleb Staiger.
Camera IconJack Cronin snaps the ball under pressure from Caleb Staiger. Credit: Alexander Scott/Pilbara News

A fourth-quarter blitz from Dampier Sharks powered the reigning premiers home against the Karratha Falcons in the penultimate round of the North Pilbara Football League.

The round 14 clash at Bulgarra Oval got off to an even start on August 12 with both sides battling for possession.

Dampier kicked 3.4 to Falcons three goals to hold a slim lead going into the first break.

The Sharks were able to extend their lead in the second quarter to 16 points with the Falcons still battling hard to remain in the contest.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


It was all Sharks in the third quarter, with the visitors booting 3.6 to 1.5 to take a game-high 29-point lead at the final break.

A seven-goal final term saw the Sharks run roughshod over the Falcons to maul the tired home side in the final 25 minutes.

In the end, Dampier Sharks defeated Karratha Falcons 16.16 (112) to 6.9 (45).

Guy Langdon kicking a goal for Sharks
Camera IconGuy Langdon kicking a goal for Sharks Credit: Alexander Scott/Pilbara News

Ryan Hawke, Michael Hopkins, Lance Jungine and Maeva Walker all booted two goals each for the Sharks while Riese Wilkey kicked three for the Falcons.

Meanwhile, Wickham Wolves demolished Port Hedland Rovers 15.11 (101) to 6.9 (45) at Colin Matheson Oval.

The Wolves took the lead early against the struggling Rovers and never looked back, running out to a 19-point lead at quarter-time before a five-goal second term gave the Wickham side a 33-point lead at half-time.

The Wolves continued to push out their lead, scoring at will to run away with the 56-point victory.

Wickham’s Tom Higgins had another standout game with six goals, while Jye Shields kicked four for the Rovers.

The victory moved Wickham four points clear of fourth-placed Karratha Falcons with the battle for third to go into the final round.

The final game of the round saw South Hedland Swans forfeit to Karratha Kats.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails