Flood warning for Pilbara residents
People living in the Pilbara Coastal Rivers are being advised to take action as Cyclone Veronica is expected to cause flooding in the area early this afternoon.
Towns between Port Hedland to Mardie are still on red alert, with the category two cyclone expected to cause dangerous tides and possible flooding at about 1.30pm today.
A total of 179.4mm of rain fell in Port Hedland yesterday, but this has calmed, with less than 10mm falling since midnight.
Residents are being advised to pack a relocation and emergency kits, as well as relocate equipment and livestock so they do not get caught up in the flood waters.
They are also being told to not walk, swim or play in the flood waters, as it could be dangerous.
The red alert has been cancelled for Port Hedland and South Hedland, with the Tropical Cyclone Veronica expected to weaken further as it tracks westwards close to the Pilbara coast today.
Emergency WA is warning that tides are likely to rise significantly above the normal high tide mark with damaging waves and dangerous coastal inundation.
People living at Barrow Island, Pannawonica, Mardie and surrounding areas are on yellow alert, while those in the inland areas are just on a blue alert.
Meanwhile, amongst all the madness a mother has given birth and named her after the cyclone.
Francis Starr gave birth to Veronica yesterday at the Hedland Health Campus with the help of staff, including midwife Danielle Johnson.
Horizon Power have confirmed they are hoping to restore power to 42 households, which have been without power for 24 hours, by this afternoon.
A number of schools are closed today, including Port Hedland, South Hedland, Karratha, Yandeyarra Community, Marble Bar, Roebourne, Wickham, Dampier and Pannawonica.
The following roads are now closed. Reopening will be subject to cyclone damage and flooding assessments:
- Karratha-Tom Price Road (Warlu Road) both directions between Cherratta Road and North West Coastal Highway
- Madigan Road - Karratha
- Dampier Road - Karratha
- Point Samson-Roebourne Road
- North West Coastal Highway both directions 5 kilometres north of Roebourne (Roebourne turf club) to Great Northern Highway
- North West Coastal Highway both directions from Dewitt Road to Great Northern Highway Intersection
- Wilson Street both directions Great Northern Highway Port Hedland
- Great Northern Highway both directions between Auski Roadhouse Sandfire Roadhouse
- Marble Bar Road both directions from Great Northern Highway to Limestone-Marble Bar Road Marble Bar
- Ripon Hills Road in both directions
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails