Bunbury Relay for Life adapts to COVID-19 climate with Halloween concert
Bunbury Relay for Life may look a little different this weekend, but the spirit of the event is the same.
The COVID-19 pandemic has changed the event and meant the traditional lap-running relay will not be held, with a Halloween concert and candlelight ceremony to take its place.
Organisers for this year’s event are encouraging all Relay for Life participants, supports, cancer survivors, patients and their carers in the area to take part at the Graham Bricknell Music Shell on Saturday.
The concert will see three live bands throughout the night and will have food trucks available.
Relay for Life Bunbury committee chair Ben Andrew said the community event was about bringing people together for an important cause.
“We wanted to still raise money for charity and in 2021 there will be a mega relay,” he said.
“We’ve raised more than $37,000 so far, which is impressive when you consider the financial setbacks people may have experienced this year.
Every dollar raised goes towards funding Cancer Council’s vital research, prevention and support programs.
“We would love anyone affected by cancer in any way to join us at the event and help raise vital funds.”
The Bunbury Relay for Life is now in its 18th year and Saturday’s event will maintain all the elements of the annual relay without the walking.
A moving candlelight ceremony will be held at 8pm to honour and remember loved ones who have died from cancer.
“Through the funds raised at Relay for Life, more than 61,000 Australian lives have been saved over the last 20 years, so we encourage everyone in Bunbury and the South West to support this fantastic event,” Mr Andrew said.
Mr Andrew said they were always looking for volunteers to come along and help.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails