Home

Dezi Freeman: Police swarm Porepunkah street, remove ‘five or six’ people from home as manhunt intensifies

Amy LeeThe Nightly
VideoHunt for alleged gunman enters fourth day, police urge Dezi Freeman to surrender.

Police have issued a warning for anyone considering aiding fugitive Dezi Freeman and called on the accused cop killer to surrender.

“If he is being aided in his escape, whoever is considering aiding him in this escape or avoiding apprehension, they are committing a criminal offence,” Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Mike Bush said, as an intense manhunt continued in the state’s northeast.

“If that person is listening, it really is time to lay down your firearms and give yourself up,” Mr Bush said.

Worsening weather was making the search of dense bushland more difficult, but he reassured the Porepunkah community that police would remain in the area until Mr Freeman is in custody.

“We are not leaving here until this person is in custody,” he said.

WA's biggest courts and crime stories to your inbox

Sign-up to our weekly newsletter for free

Sign up

More than 450 Victoria Police officers are now involved in the operation, including search teams and investigative units.

Mr Bush said there had been reported sightings of Mr Freeman, but none of them had been confirmed, and thanked the local community for their support.

“There have been alleged sightings which we’re exploring,” he said.

“We can’t confirm that they are of him but if you think you see him, let us know, we’ll explore it.

“The locals have been fantastic. There are certain lines of inquiry that are coming in from the public that are being assessed. They’re all helpful.

“So we encourage members of the public to tell us everything they think they need to tell us.”

The warning comes after Mr Freeman’s wife and teenage son were taken into custody on Thursday evening, as the investigation into the fatal shooting of two police officers escalates.

Dezi Freeman’s wife, Mali Freeman, (pictured, 42), and a 15-year-old boy were arrested at a Porepunkah property late on Thursday night. Picture: Unknow
Camera IconDezi Freeman’s wife, Mali Freeman, (pictured, 42), and a 15-year-old boy were arrested at a Porepunkah property late on Thursday night. Unknow Credit: Unknow/Facebook

Fugitive Squad detectives, assisted by members of the Special Operations Group, attended a home in Porepunkah at approximately 8:40pm on Thursday.

There, police safely arrested 42-year-old Mali Freeman and her 15-year-old son. The arrests occurred after Ms Freeman, was reportedly seen talking with police.

Victoria Police confirmed that both were interviewed and subsequently released pending further inquiries.

The arrests are part of the broader investigation into the deaths of Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart, who were fatally shot while on duty on Tuesday.

A third officer, 56-year-old detective Peter Evans, remains in hospital after sustaining a gunshot wound to the lower body.

“He’s had one operation. He will have another. He will recover. He’s in good hands,” Mr Bush said.

Victorian Premier Jacinta Allan confirmed that the State Government will assist Victoria Police in organising funerals for the two fallen officers.

“The state will be providing every support to Victoria Police to support the families in the organisation of the funeral arrangements, recognising that these will be very difficult days for the family, and also the many members of Victoria Police who’ll want to come and show and pay their respects, their final respects, to their fallen colleagues,” she said.

On Thursday night, a quiet street in Porepunkah was transformed into the centre of a dramatic police raid, as heavily armed officers intensified the hunt for the alleged double killer.

Neighbours described a sudden influx of unmarked police vehicles around 9pm, with convoys swarming Francis Street and detaining multiple residents.

At 9.24pm, an emergency alert was reportedly issued warning the public to avoid the area as police “searched for an armed and dangerous offender”.

Officers used loudspeakers to order people out of their homes — instructing them to “come out with nothing in your hands” — while properties were methodically cleared, the Herald Sun reported.

A specialist unit is understood to have stormed one home and escorted “five or six people” outside. The house is believed to be connected to one of Mr Freeman’s relatives.

Witnesses estimated the line of police vehicles stretched as far back as the Great Alpine Road.

A large contingent of Victorian Police, including the armed heavy vehicles used by the Tactical Operations Unit in Porepunkah.
Camera IconA large contingent of Victorian Police, including the armed heavy vehicles used by the Tactical Operations Unit in Porepunkah. Credit: SIMON DALLINGER/AAPIMAGE

Speaking at a Thursday press conference, Superintendent Brett Kahan warned that anyone helping Mr Freeman could face serious criminal charges. He also urged the accused gunman to surrender.

“Ring triple zero, and we will support a surrender plan. That option is absolutely open to him,” Supt Kahan said.

Police will scour mines, caves and dugouts for Mr Freeman as conditions deteriorate for the manhunt’s fourth day.

Mr Freeman fled into bushland after he allegedly killed Detective Leading Senior Constable Neal Thompson, 59, and Senior Constable Vadim De Waart, 35, at a Porepunkah property in regional Victoria.

Another wounded officer, who was among the group of 10 attempting to serve a search warrant relating to alleged child sex offending, is expected to recover after undergoing surgery.

With Mr Freeman on the run, the small community 300km northeast of Melbourne has been urged to stay vigilant.

Weather conditions on the ground were forecast to deteriorate on Friday as showers laced with hail and thunderstorms passed through, bringing wintry conditions, including snowfall to 600m above sea level, senior meteorologist Angus Hines said.

Conditions are forecast to deteriorate as police hunt a fugitive accused of killing two officers. (Simon Dallinger/AAP PHOTOS)
Camera IconConditions are forecast to deteriorate as police hunt a fugitive accused of killing two officers. (Simon Dallinger/AAP PHOTOS) Credit: AAP

Every available asset and police capability was being deployed on the ground to apprehend Mr Freeman, Deputy Commissioner, Regional Operations Russell Barrett said.

“That’s our purpose, and we will not rest until it occurs,” he said.

Supt Kahan said the terrain was difficult and dangerous.

“It’s not something that we, even with our specialist resources, can move through quickly,” he said.

Police continued to speak with Mr Freeman’s wife, as officers investigated properties, mines, caves and dugouts in the area.

“We will systematically search areas of interest,” Mr Barrett said.

The bodies of the fallen officers were given a guard of honour by flashing-light police cars as they were taken to Melbourne Coroners Court on Wednesday night.

Det Snr Const Thompson was cut down in his “last week or so” of work before retirement, and Snr Const Vadim De Waart had a “great career in front of him”, Mr Barrett said.

Local council services would resume on Friday, but the waste tip would remain closed until further notice, Alpine Shire Council said.

Mr Freeman, who has bush survival experience, was last seen wearing dark green tracksuit pants, a dark green rain jacket, brown Blundstone boots and reading glasses, police said.

He is believed to be a sovereign citizen, an ideology that questions government authority and whose followers believe the rule of law doesn’t apply to them, and who disassociate from society.

- With AAP

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails