Port powers to win over Mines

North West Telegraph
Shrewd bowling from Port helped seal Mines' fate.
Camera IconShrewd bowling from Port helped seal Mines' fate. Credit: Mitchell Smith

Round 3 of the Onsite Port Hedland Cricket Association started on Friday night with the two favourites for the title this year, Port Hedland and Mines, doing battle in the Twenty20.

Port Hedland batted first and after losing a few early wickets they steadied the innings through Brian Hall, who scored a half century.

Recruit Glenn Robertson complemented him with a useful 30 and Port finished their innings at 3-127.

The Mines bowlers did well to restrict the powerful Port line-up and were well represented by Scott Langford (1-16) and Tauren Williams (1-15).

In reply to Port's 127, Mines never really got going and were well restricted by Jarrod O'Dea, who snared a couple of early wickets, and Brendan Hall, who picked up the important wicket of Russell Pyke.

There were a few starts in the batting line-up but a constant flow of wickets prevented any real threat to Port, with Toby O'Grady batting well to earn himself a useful 21 before being run out.

In the end Port were too strong in an even contest, with Mines falling short at 8-101.

In the match of the round, South Hedland and Wanderers took to the stage in their 40-over fixture, with both teams looking for a win after falling short in round 2.

South Hedland won the toss, elected to bat and after five overs the Wanderers were looking good with some tight bowling restricting the runs.

Scott Stuart (42) and Nathan De Beer (24) had a good opening stand and started pushing the run rate up after the opening bowlers finished their spell.

Raj Iyer broke the partnership, with De Beer nicking one to Mike Sheridan.

Through the middle overs, Souths had to curtail the spinners, who slowed the run rate down, with Zulu Ahlers taking 3-30 off his seven overs.

After weathering the storm, Dan Shepard exploded into life with a damaging 44 runs to his name before being removed by one of the catches of the season.

South Hedland built partnerships throughout the innings and had steady contributors before Ryan Ibbotson (24) cracked the ball to all parts of the field, pushing South Hedland to a commanding 9-200.

In reply, Wayne Stokes (59) and Braydon Essex put on a good opening stand before Shepard removed Essex, breaking their opening stand of 52.

At drinks, Stokes and Josh Standen (16) had pushed the Wanderers to 1-102, with Stokes playing superbly.

Standen was removed first ball after drinks and from there South Hedland took control of the contest, taking a phenomenal 8-50 led by Robert Ryan, 4-34, and De Beer, 2-10.

Souths wrestled the ascendency of the match with a late flurry by Mike Sheridan (22) giving the Wanderers a slight hope, before he was dismissed by a superb catch by De Beer.

In the end, Souths were too strong for the Wanderers' middle order and they finished up all out for 152.

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails