Dual premiership winner Matthew Suckling delisted from Western Bulldogs with Jackson Trengrove, Callum Porter
Two-time premiership winner Matthew Suckling has been delisted by the Western Bulldogs, along with Jackson Trengrove and Callum Porter.
The decision by the Dogs, made just weeks out from the 2020 AFL Draft, could spell the end of Suckling’s career after the defender crossed from the Hawks at the end of 2015.
Suckling played more than 100 games for Hawthorn, including the 2014 and 2015 premiership wins.
The 32-year-old went on to play a further 69 games for the Dogs before Tuesday’s decision.
Trengrove meantime is looking for his third AFL club after managing just one game for the Bulldogs in 2020.
The defender had spent eight seasons at Port Adelaide, after being selected with pick 22 in the 2008 Draft, before he arrived at Footscray in 2017.
“These are difficult decisions to make, because we’re dealing with quality individuals who cannot be questioned for their hard work and dedication,” said Bulldogs’ General Manager of List and Recruiting, Sam Power.
“They represented the Club with pride and gave their all, and we are grateful for their efforts.
“We wish them every success for whatever their futures hold, and they know they are always welcome back at the Club.”
Porter managed just one game for the Bulldogs after making his debuting in round eight this season.
He arrived at the kennel with pick 74 in the 2017 AFL Draft.
The trio join Billy Gowers, Fergus Greene and Brad Lynch in departing the club while Tory Dickson retired.
DEES DEFENDER DELISTED
Oscar McDonald won’t be at Melbourne next season after being delisted on Tuesday.
Pick 53 from the 2014 AFL Draft, McDonald played 81 games for the Demons but just seven of them came this season.
“Oscar has been a popular member of the footy club over the past six years and we would like to thank him for his valuable contributions,” Melbourne football boss Josh Mahoney said.
“Letting players go at this time of the year is always challenging, but we wish Oscar all the best for the future.”
McDonald joins Kyle Dunkley, Corey Wagner, Harley Bennell and Josh Wagner in Demons departures.
SAINTS MAKE ANOTHER CHANGE
Ed Phillips has become the seventh Saints player to be delisted, with the “really hard” decision made on Tuesday.
Saints list boss James Gallagher said it was a “tough call” to cut Phillips from the 2021 playing roster.
“It was a really hard conversation to have,” he said.
“It’s been a theme throughout this off-season, but unfortunately due to the situation our industry finds itself in, tough calls must be made.
“I have no doubt he has big things ahead of him and we wish him all the best with whatever comes next.”
Phillips played 15 games for the Saints since arriving as pick 56 in the 2016 AFL Draft.
He joins Matty Parker, Doulton Langlands, Ryan Abbott, Jack Bell, Jack Mayo, Logan Austin and retiree Nathan Brown out the door at Moorabbin.
YOUNG CAT PUTS PEN TO PAPER
Brendan Parfitt has committed to the Cats for a further two years, days after he became a trade target for rival GWS.
The Giants had been keen to secure the young midfielder in exchange for star forward Jeremy Cameron, but the Cats held firm.
The 22-year-old has played 72 games in his three seasons at the Cattery, with Geelong excited by Parfitt’s potential.
“Since arriving at the club, he has developed into one of the club’s most versatile players and we are excited to see where he can take his game in the next two seasons,” Geelong general manager of footy Simon Lloyd said.
“Brandan displays the values we aspire to live by and is part of a nucleus of young players that represent an exciting future for the Geelong Football Club.”
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails