Trial begins for Hedland murder accused
A jury has been told a 29-year-old South Hedland woman was brutally bashed to death in her home by her partner of around eight months.
Razak Simon Bin Saad, 34, is accused of killing the 29-year-old on December 11 or 12 2015 at the home they shared on Brodie Crescent.
Mr Bin Saad has pleaded not guilty to one count of murdering the woman the court was told he met in July 2015 at a bus stop.
As the Supreme Court trial began yesterday in South Hedland, State Prosecutor Brad Hollingsworth said the damage to the woman’s body was extensive indicating she had been punched, kicked, stomped in her back and in her rib cage, causing collapse of both her lungs and breakage of her ribs in 17 places.
Mr Hollingsworth said forensic pathologists found 104 injuries on the outside of the woman’s body, including lacerations to her forehead, ears, back of head, dental injuries and a fractured jaw.
The jury was shown video footage of the house with blood spatters on the walls and floor.
Port Hedland Sergeant Jayd Morawski was one of the first officers to attend the scene in 2015 when he was working as a shift supervisor at South Hedland Police Station.
Sgt Morawski told the court he forced entry via the front door of the property on the morning of Saturday, December 12 and found reddish-brown stains in the hallway, bathroom area and bedroom on the walls and the floor.
“I've noted a female person lying on a mattress on the floor,” he said. “She was laying on her back with her head canted to the right and she was nude.”
Sgt Morawski said he then approached the woman and checked for signs of life but did not feel a pulse.
“I watched for any chest movement and conducted checks for around one minute and determined she was deceased,” he said. “At this point we had already called for an ambulance.
“An ambulance officer conducted checks and confirmed the lady was dead.”
The case continues.
Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.
Sign up for our emails