Wolves hang on to beat Rovers

Alexander ScottPilbara News
Wolves and Rovers battled it out over four gruelling quarters
Camera IconWolves and Rovers battled it out over four gruelling quarters Credit: Pictures: Alexander Scott

Reigning premiers Wickham Wolves rebounded from last week’s loss with a hard-fought victory over a resilient Port Hedland Rovers on Saturday.

The Wolves were in complete control at Wickham Oval, kicking the first three goals of the game to storm to a 19-point lead at the end of the first term.

Rovers responded by cutting the deficit to 14 points on the back of a three-goal second quarter.

The Rovers cut the Wolves’ lead to 10 points in the third quarter, outscoring the Wolves 2.1 to 1.3.

Get in front of tomorrow's news for FREE

Journalism for the curious Australian across politics, business, culture and opinion.


The Wolves’ inaccuracy nearly cost them the win in nail-biting final term, kicking a wasteful 2.5, failing to capitalise on scoring opportunities while the Rovers kicked 3.0

Fortunately for the Wolves, it proved enough with them defeating the Rovers 8.13 (61) to 8.4 (52).

Tyson Nicholas booted three goals for the Wolves, with Ayden Saylor kicking two for the side as well.

For the Rovers, Craig Buckley, Ashley Thornton, and Peter Stevens kicked two goals each.

Wolves coach Glenn Higgins said it was a frustrating game but he was happy to win.

“It started really well early, we just lost our way in the second quarter from what our game plan was tonight,” he said.

“Rovers are a quality side, they hang around, our senior players Riley Kay and Tyson Nicholas got us over the line.”

Higgins said the win gave the side a strong platform for the rest of the season.

In the reserves, the Wickham Wolves steamrolled the Rovers, winning by 108 points.

The Wolves kicked 19 goals on their way to victory, including seven from Leonard Malmo.

The scoreline was Wolves 19.8 (122), Rovers 2.2 (14).

Get the latest news from thewest.com.au in your inbox.

Sign up for our emails